Printer-friendly version
Glossary of terms you will come across during your Phase 2 training.


Browse the glossary using this index

Special | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O
P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | ALL

Page: (Previous)   1  ...  98  99  100  101  102  103  104  105  106  107  (Next)
  ALL

W

:

Electrical wire strippersThis tool is issued to you at your own expense during induction. It then becomes part of your tool kit and you must have it with you at all times during the Phase 2 course.

This tool allows you to quickly and accurately strip insulation from that automotive electrical cabling that you will be using during the course.

:

From their website:

Through its network of subsidiaries, the Wirtgen Group is present as a dependable local partner around the globe. Whether machine sales, applications consulting, original spare parts or mobile local service directly on the construction site – our subsidiary will support you, as our customer, in every way possible. Read More...

Company Contact: Paul O'Brien, telephone: 046 9549 414; Mobile: 087 7954 581

Apprentices:

:

Windows Media Audio, a format for sound files, devised by Microsoft.

Although this format gives very good sound quality with relatively small file sizes, be careful about posting files in this format to your site. Not every visitor may have the software necessary to open the file. For example, Mac users will not be able to open this format.

In order to ensure maximum availability of your sound files, use a more universal format like mp3.

:
Warrant Officer, a rank in the Irish Naval Service.
:

Work is said to be done when a force moves an object through a distance. If we want to quantify or measure the amount of work done, we must know the magnitude (size) of the force applied, and the distance the object was moved.

When carrying out calculations of this nature, we must be careful to use base units, in this case, the metre for distance and the Newton for force.

For example, if the force applied was 20 Newtons, and the distance moved was 1 metre, then the work done is calculated by multiplying the force by the distance.

:
You are working a metal when you hit it, bend it, heat it. Take, for example, copper. If you got a length of copper bar and kept bending it back and forth, you are working it. Eventually, the copper will harden at the point where it is bending (where the work is happening). This hardness will cause the copper bar to break at this point. You have work hardened the copper, and that is why it breaks-it becomes hard and brittle, and then cracks and breaks at the point of bending.
Keyword(s):
:
Wide open throttle. Term used in electronic engine managment. This is when an engine is under full load.
Keyword(s):
:

Wrought iron is got by removing the carbon from cast iron.

Wrought iron is very pure, with a ferrite content of 99.95%. The remaining 0.05% is slag, picked up during the smelting process.

Wrought iron is easily bent or twisted when cold, but it has excellent resistance to fracture when subjected to sudden shocks or blows.

:

From their website:

Wurth logoWürth Ireland Ltd. is Ireland's largest distributor of Assembly Techniques and is part of the Würth Group which has over 400 active companies in 86 countries worldwide. Traditionally Würth Ireland has been a direct sales company with 120 sales representatives servicing all 32 counties. The name Würth is synonymous with quality, and this standard was the foundation which led to acquiring their leading position in the market. Their ability to innovate and anticipate along with their excellent service and availability makes them Irelands top supplier to the Woodworking, Construction, Automotive and Metal Industries.

Sales Representative: Joe Flaherty

Wurth supply us with various items such as the TimeSert thread repair kit. They also supply us with course expendables such as drill bits, nuts, bolts and carburettor cleaner.

Würth have a trade outlet in Finglas, just off the M50, Junction 5. Take this exit and head toward the city.

If you have Google Earth installed on your computer, then download this file to view the exact location.

Satnav coordinates for Finglas Depot:
53°23'50.28"N  
6°19'14.16"W

Keyword(s):
:

Cortavacan, Eslin Bridge, Carrick on Shannon, Co. Leitrym.

Company Contact: Miko Wynne, telephone: 071 9631 664

Apprentices:

Keyword(s):

Page: (Previous)   1  ...  98  99  100  101  102  103  104  105  106  107  (Next)
  ALL